So Yahoo bought Tumblr. Good for them. New CEO Marissa Mayer gets it! Now please don’t screw it up!!!!
The good news is that Tumblr will independently operated as a separate business. David Karp will remain CEO.
From Yahoo!’s press release we learn:
– Tumblr has more than 300 million monthly unique visitors.
– 120,000 signups every day.
– Earns 900 posts per second and 24 billion minutes spent on site each month.
– On mobile, more than half of Tumblr’s users are using the mobile app and do an average of 7 sessions per day.
– 50 billion blog posts (and 75 million more arriving each day).
The deal was for approximately $1.1 billion. “Tumblr is redefining creative expression online,” said Yahoo! CEO Marissa Mayer. “On many levels, Tumblr and Yahoo! couldn’t be more different, but, at the same time, they couldn’t be more complementary. Yahoo is the Internet’s original media network. Tumblr is the Internet’s fastest-growing media frenzy.”
“I’ve long held the view that in all things art and design, you can feel the spirit and demeanor of the creator. That’s why it was no surprise to me that David Karp is one of the nicest, most empathetic people I’ve ever met. He’s also one of the most perceptive, capable entrepreneurs I’ve ever worked with,” continued Mayer. “David’s respect for Tumblr’s community of creators is awesome. I’m absolutely delighted to have him join our team.”
So the internet or at least this small part of it goes back to being about creativity and expression. The future of creativity gets saved once again.